*Future of Wax*

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Wouldn't it be great if one could do simultaneous recording to an xml/excel file or playing from an xml/excel file. The file being played could screen scrape to defined outputs, read from an html page to check for expected validations messages (via xpath/hierarchy/text) as well as the setting of field values...

This would mean the customer could run tests and if any fail they send the outputted xml/excel to the development team so they can recreate the issue.

It also means a customer could play a file (recording at the same time) and pause the playing of it at a specific point to check (and record) a different scenario.

The advantage of including an xml format is that inputs and outputs (results) could be transformed and used by other applications.

Any thoughts on this?
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2007 at 12:28 PM
Hi Rik,

Your idea does sound great, it's something I've been thinking about as well.

My experience of using test recorders are that they don't generate very nice scripts. The resulting scripts are usually too verbose and quite brittle i.e. break quite easily when UI changes. Because of this I'm quite keen to keep Wax as a "user defines the tests" application.

Having said this there is another WatiN related project, http://watintestrecord.sourceforge.net/ that is a WatiN recorder. The author of this project has expressed an interest in merging in the Wax code - ping him to let him know if your'e interested in this going a head.

Regards Ed.